We have been serving the law enforcement community for over 40 years, with our focus firmly fixed on longevity. First installed for the Maine State Police in 1977, the FOX V system introduced core technology still in use to this day. Targeting UNIX systems, we introduced the OpenFox® system in 1994. Since then, the footprint of the OpenFox® system has grown to well over half the states of the union, a market presence unmatched by any other single organization in the history of the industry.
We are a family owned business. Founded by Lorne Sawatzky, CPI has transitioned to the next generation. Lorne’s three sons, Steve, Kevin and Ryan, now form the corporate management board. All three of us are engineers by education and by trade, and we have each personally developed technology for CPI.
Here at CPI, you will find a corporate management team who
- Are passionate and engaged in corporate direction
- Understand technology and the issues involved
- Are united in our cause. No political infighting between departments at CPI!
We view CPI as an extension of our family. Our employees are part of our extended family as well. Perhaps this is why our average employee has been with us for over 8 years and why 68% of our workforce has been with us for 5 years or more. Perhaps it is because of our outstanding benefits package that they simply can’t find at other firms. Our employees enjoy:
- Competitive salaries
- Corporate wide financial performance bonus plan
- Up to 15% salary contribution to retirement
- Health insurance premiums for employee, spouse, and family 100% covered by the company - CPI will even contribute funds to your Health Savings Account!
- Work-life balance - our convenient location in the SW burbs allows our employees to spend more time with their families
We are an engineering firm at heart. We develop real-time mission-critical systems that are central to the success of law enforcement and public safety. Our focus is on developing systems that are reliable over the long-term and flexible to meet the needs and regulations of our customers.
We do not build our products on top of open source application platforms that won’t be supported 10 years down the road, or that will be dropped in favor of the next best thing. We build our own application platforms, and we build them with a core of robust and flexible technology.
Our average customer has been a customer for over 16 years, and we have only lost 1 customer over our history. Not only do our customers love us, but they are also the best and the brightest from the law enforcement and public safety community! Our customers include the Nlets President and 1st Vice-President, 6 out of 8 Nlets board members, and leaders on the Compact Council and NCIC Committees.
Working on our team, you will get to speak to, interact with and collaborate with these dynamic leaders of the industry. You will see the tangible impact of delivering software, get to meet the officers who benefit from the systems we develop, and meet our customers face-to-face when we host our annual User Conference here in the Chicago area.
Responsible for the development and administration of the CPI database. The ideal candidate will have the following related experience.
- Knowledge of Oracle and SQL SERVER experience in UNIX and Windows development environments
- Knowledge and proficiency in SQL, PL/SQL, T-SQL
- Knowledge of Java, including Java Swing, and C
- Knowledge of Database administration
- XML knowledge and skills are a plus
- Good communication/documentation skills
- Willingness to travel throughout the United States as required
User Applications Developer
We’re looking for an innovative problem solver that loves to lead by example and inspire team performance. Your success will be driven by your hands on expertise crafting technology solutions and commitment to excellence.
In this role, you will join a team focused on the development and maintenance of various Client/Server and Web Applications, supporting our clients in the Law Enforcement community. The successful candidate will be a self-directed problem solver with strong programming skills and software development knowledge through a full product life cycle.
- Design and develop Java Swing user interfaces for client/server applications
- Design, develop and maintain Web-based applications
- Assist in various phases of software development from use case requirements gathering through design, code and testing
- Analyze and diagnose application errors and performance issues
- Develop and maintain procedures and documentation
- Clearly communicate status to management
- Analyze complex issues and develop appropriate solutions
- Knowledge sharing with team members
Qualities of Successful Candidates
- Self-manage time and priorities
- Independently create creative plans that are accomplished independently
- Proficient operating outside of the job description
- Demonstrate creativity and out-of-the-box thinking to develop solutions
- Able to complete complicated & elaborate work tasks that may seem difficult to analyze
- Independently able to analyze business requirements and assist manager in creating technical requirements or design guidelines
- Comfortable working with frameworks outside of the Java GUI frameworks
- Knowledge and Experience developing front-end applications using Java
- Knowledge and Experience in GUI design
- Knowledge and Experience in XML and XSLT technology
- Strong debugging and problem solving skills
- Testing: Module, Functional, Structural and Integration Testing
- Familiar with Unix, AIX and/or Windows Server
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to develop creative solutions
- Willingness to travel throughout the United States as required
- Experience with some type of version control software (i.e. GIT, Mercurial)
- Experience with software development testing
- Experience writing automated test cases using Junit a plus
- Experience with HTML, XML, and JSON
- Knowledge of Jasper Reports a plus
- Knowledge of JDBC, SQL, PL/SQL, T/SQL
- Experience with mobile app development for Android and IOS Platforms a plus
- Web Development experience a plus
CPI has contracts with State, Federal and Local Law Enforcement Agencies. As a result of this activity, CPI personnel come into contact with what is classified as sensitive data, including Criminal History Records so each candidate must pass a background check.
Here is a handful of things we have to offer:
- An engineering firm at heart. Founded and run by software engineers
- Family Run Company with family values. Dad started the company and the 3 sons are leading it into the future
- On that note, the benefits are great and there is no one looking over your shoulder when you need to work from home. Just think how handy that will be when you are waiting for that next Amazon delivery
- Over thirty years in business, 40 clients in 28 states, 56 employees all working at the same place. These numbers add up to a stable work environment where everyone knows your name and you can make an impact.