We have been serving the law enforcement community for over 40 years, with our focus firmly fixed on longevity. First installed for the Maine State Police in 1977, the FOX V system introduced core technology still in use to this day. Targeting UNIX systems, we introduced the OpenFox® system in 1994. Since then, the footprint of the OpenFox® system has grown to well over half the states of the union, a market presence unmatched by any other single organization in the history of the industry.
We are a family owned business. Founded by Lorne Sawatzky, CPI has transitioned to the next generation. Lorne’s three sons, Steve, Kevin and Ryan, now form the corporate management board. All three of us are engineers by education and by trade, and we have each personally developed technology for CPI.
Here at CPI, you will find a corporate management team who
- Are passionate and engaged in corporate direction
- Understand technology and the issues involved
- Are united in our cause. No political infighting between departments at CPI!
We view CPI as an extension of our family. Our employees are part of our extended family as well. Perhaps this is why our average employee has been with us for over 8 years and why 68% of our workforce has been with us for 5 years or more. Perhaps it is because of our outstanding benefits package that they simply can’t find at other firms. Our employees enjoy:
- Competitive salaries
- Corporate wide financial performance bonus plan
- Up to 15% salary contribution to retirement
- Health insurance premiums for employee, spouse, and family 100% covered by the company - CPI will even contribute funds to your Health Savings Account!
- Work-life balance - our convenient location in the SW burbs allows our employees to spend more time with their families
We are an engineering firm at heart. We develop real-time mission-critical systems that are central to the success of law enforcement and public safety. Our focus is on developing systems that are reliable over the long-term and flexible to meet the needs and regulations of our customers.
We do not build our products on top of open source application platforms that won’t be supported 10 years down the road, or that will be dropped in favor of the next best thing. We build our own application platforms, and we build them with a core of robust and flexible technology.
Our average customer has been a customer for over 16 years, and we have only lost 1 customer over our history. Not only do our customers love us, but they are also the best and the brightest from the law enforcement and public safety community! Our customers include the Nlets President and 1st Vice-President, 6 out of 8 Nlets board members, and leaders on the Compact Council and NCIC Committees.
Working on our team, you will get to speak to, interact with and collaborate with these dynamic leaders of the industry. You will see the tangible impact of delivering software, get to meet the officers who benefit from the systems we develop, and meet our customers face-to-face when we host our annual User Conference here in the Chicago area.
Responsible for the development and administration of the CPI database. The ideal candidate will have the following related experience.
- Knowledge of Oracle and SQL SERVER experience in UNIX and Windows development environments
- Knowledge and proficiency in SQL, PL/SQL, T-SQL
- Knowledge of Java, including Java Swing, and C
- Knowledge of Database administration
- XML knowledge and skills are a plus
- Good communication/documentation skills
- Willingness to travel throughout the United States as required
Software Engineer, User Applications
We’re looking for an innovative problem solver that loves to lead by example and inspire team performance. Your success will be driven by your hands on expertise crafting technology solutions and commitment to excellence.
In this role, you will join a team focused on the development and maintenance of various Client/Server and Web Applications supporting our clients in the Law Enforcement community. The successful candidate will be a self-directed problem solver with software development knowledge through a full product life cycle.
- Design, develop and maintain Web-based applications
- Assist with design and development of Java based client applications
- Assist in various phases of software development from use case requirements gathering through design, code and testing
- Analyze and diagnose application errors and performance issues
- Develop and maintain procedures and documentation
- Clearly communicate status to management
- Analyze complex issues and develop appropriate solutions
- Knowledge sharing with team members
Qualities of Successful Candidates
- Self-manage time and priorities
- Independently create creative plans that are accomplished independently
- Proficient operating outside of the job description
- Demonstrate creativity and out-of- the-box thinking to develop solutions
- Able to complete complicated & elaborate work tasks that may seem difficult to analyze
- Independently able to analyze business requirements and assist manager in creating technical requirements or design guidelines
- Fundamental understanding of web-based systems design, programming and development
- Knowledge and experience in HTLM5, JS, jQuery, CSS3, XHTML, AJAX, Tomcat and Java Servlets
- Knowledge and experience in Java based client development
- Knowledge and experience in XML and XSLT technology
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills
- Testing: Module, Functional, Structural and Integration Testing
- Familiar with Unix and AIX
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to develop creative solutions
- Willingness to travel throughout the United States as required
- College degree in related field of study
- Experience with some type of version control software (i.e. GIT, Mercurial)
- Experience with software development testing
- Experience writing automated test cases (i.e. Junit)
- Experience with HTML, XML, and JSON
- Knowledge of Joomla and PHP
- Knowledge of Jasper Reports a plus
- Knowledge of JDBC, SQL, PL/SQL, T/SQL, MySQL
CPI has contracts with State, Federal and Local Law Enforcement Agencies. As a result of this activity, CPI personnel come into contact with what is classified as sensitive data, including Criminal History Records so each candidate must pass a background check.
Here is a handful of things we have to offer:
- An engineering firm at heart. Founded and run by software engineers
- Family Run Company with family values. Dad started the company and the three sons are leading it into the future
- On that note, the benefits are great and there is no one looking over your shoulder when you need to work from home. Just think how handy that will be when you are waiting for that next Amazon delivery
- Over thirty years in business, 40 clients in 28 states, 56 employees all working at the same place. These numbers add up to a stable work environment where everyone knows your name and you can make an impact
CPI is seeking a results-oriented, customer-facing project manager to provide proactive leadership for establishing and leading multiple customer engagements and initiatives. Project Managers lead a variety of different types of projects and rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Partnering and maintaining relationships with internal and external customers is paramount to success.
- Accountable for defining, planning, orchestrating, and delivering one or more customer initiatives including business, operational, and technology deliverables.
- Ensures end results are of the highest caliber with a clearly articulated scope.
- Directs large-scale, complex projects often involving multiple internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Directly manages all aspects of the project lifecycle and works with matrixed technology teams to oversee all SDLC phases of a project.
- Rigorously manages scope to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed upon time, cost, and quality parameters.
- Validates financial forecasts and provides on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenditures.
- Develops communication plans and interfaces effectively with key stakeholders to execute on responsibilities.
- Demonstrates a general understanding of current products, services, technology, and capabilities in order to clearly follow the work of the project team and to routinely brief key stakeholders on different aspects of a project.
- Represents the project in various project governance and inter-department forums.
- Develops statement of work, integrated project plan, resource plan, contingency plan, and related project management artifacts.
- Defines and tracks project milestones while developing, maintaining, and reporting on an overall integrated delivery plan.
- Publishes periodic program status reports and regularly reviews progress with management, customers, and key stakeholders.
- Proposes recommendations and adjustments to deliver project outcomes and achieve business results.
- Proven ability to quickly build relationships and earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders.
- Effectively navigate a highly matrixed organization, mobilize and motivate teams, and set direction and approach.
- Ability to resolve conflict, deliver tough messages with grace, and execute with limited information and ambiguity.
- Positively influences others to achieve project and organizational goals.
- Sound business and technical acumen.
- Partners with colleagues at various levels to solve problems, improve work processes, or accomplish specific tasks.
- Focused and versatile team player that is comfortable under pressure.
- Ability to communicate technical and non-technical concepts at all levels with clarity and precision both written and verbally.
- Ability to remove barriers and enable teams to complete their objectives.
- Demonstrated, applied experience establishing and delivering complex projects.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Exemplary core project management skills including all aspects of the PMBOK.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in the use of project management, SDLC, and Agile methodologies and tools.
- Ability and willingness to support multiple customers in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to pass federal, state, and national background checks for all locations in which CPI conducts business.
- Willingness to travel throughout the United States as required.
- Be able to work daily from our corporate headquarters in Bolingbrook, IL.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- At least seven (7) years of project management experience in a leadership role.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Extensive experience leading customer facing, fixed price projects for external customers.
- Experience working in a software as a service organization.
- Active PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
- Previous law enforcement or criminal justice experience.
Computer Projects of Illinois, Inc. (CPI), with its headquarters in Bolingbrook, Illinois, is a privately held corporation and an acknowledged leader in information-sharing software systems for the law enforcement and criminal justice community. CPI's sole focus has been, and will continue to be, this sector. CPI expends all of our energies on the development, installation and maintenance of our software products. CPI systems are state-of-the-art and cost-effective; ensuring that our customers get the most for their investment.
What's In It For You:
CPI offers an energetic and challenging, fluid, team oriented, casual environment in a positive stimulating atmosphere with a success culture that encourages communication and where creative bright minds are rewarded. This expanding leader has a very modern professional environment with excellent benefits including company sponsored insurance (health, dental and vision), company sponsored profit sharing plan, and 401k.