POSITION OBJECTIVE: The Managing Director of Engineering manages the entire software engineering function for the industry leader in state/federal real-time law enforcement information sharing. This role manages critical functions of business operations including Database, Data Services, Message Switch, Communications, and User Apps. The Managing Director of Engineering will be a critical thinker and creative problem-solver, helping to support the company’s future direction while also supporting engineering initiatives. He/she must be solution-oriented and use both data and soft-skills to communicate a path forward with conviction. The ability to articulate strategic and tactical ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, to listen carefully, and to establish a personal rapport with people from all levels of the organization will drive this person’s success. He/she will have a seat at the table and will be expected to contribute to all business planning activities. As a leader in our business, this individual will champion and embody our values of Do The Right Thing, Own It, Strive for Greatness, and Build a Foundation For The Future.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Lead the entire engineering efforts for the industry leader in state/federal real-time law enforcement information sharing
- Collaborate with Sales and PMO to create business plans for new products & enhancements for board approval
- Create and implement a strategy for reducing CPI’s technical debt in our message switch, CCH, and other products
- Create and implement a strategy to avoid building technical debt
- Manage engineering operations to achieve
- Bridge the gap between business and technical functions
- Manage conflicting priorities between existing commitments and new requests from sales/PMO
PLAN AND ALIGN
- Communicate and understand CPI’s vision, values, and culture to reinforce decisions, processes, and roles within that context
- Design and implement business processes of coordination between engineering and PMO
- Manage projects to commitment dates
- Handle project delays due to customer deliverables
- Cross-functional project delivery – tracking, estimating, etc.
- Set revenue (should be profit) goals and growth strategy for products
- Manage engineering budget to expected ROI
- Propose and manage teams to annual budgets for labor, tools, training, etc.
- Create and review customer legal documents: Master Service Agreements, Scope of Work, Comprehensive Annual Maintenance Agreements
- Inspire team members to provide remarkable service to clients, by building personalized relationships, understanding our clients business and industry, and seeking new ways to solve their problems
- Attract, select and retain diverse and high caliber talent that furthers our business and our culture
- Organize hiring and group structure to support consistent product launch, quality, and budget
- Establish common objectives and a shared mindset
- Create a feeling of belonging and strong team morale and culture
- Champion and demonstrate CPI’s core values consistently
- Foster open dialogue and collaboration among the team
- Hold team members and directors accountable for delivering results
- Coordinate collaborative efforts between product groups
- Represent CPI and products at industry events, trade shows, project trips
- Supervise and partner with group managers to mentor leadership skills to improve teams
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 10 years related engineering experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with data integration projects
- Working knowledge of C, Java, SQL, Unix (Linux & AIX), Jira, Git
- Process and project management skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Commitment to demonstrating the company’s core values
- Demonstrated ability to work on long-term projects that require patience, persistence, and perseverance
- Previous experience in Software Engineering or related field
- Demonstrated success in a leadership role
- Passion for developing and mentoring others
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
The following are key success factors for this role which measure results in meeting critical elements of the position. The specific goals for each element are set annually.
- Engineering Team Productivity
- Defined as successfully meeting customer commitments on projects. Measured by project schedules and delivering on time according to schedules and proactively managing customer commitments and deliverables.
- Staff Retention
- Measured as staff retained in the company (for example, promotions to other teams do not erode staff retention).
- Key Success Factors of Team Members
- Measured as success of all direct and indirect reports meeting the key success factors/performance indicators for their respective roles.
- Specific Projects and Innovations
- Measured as successful completion of specific projects or innovations agreed upon for the year.
- Defined as cultivating and ensuring successful relationships between departments (ie. engineering and operations, sales, and PMO. Measured by 360 feedback evaluation and the number of priority resolutions escalated to the ELT level.
- Strategic Results
- Defined as creating and implementing strategies to drive specific business results. Measured by total revenue, customer retention, other metrics to be defined.