We are looking for a talented technical writer to help create and build out modern documentation and user assistance library that is motivated, passionate, and thrives in the fast-paced culture of a dynamic and evolving software company. In this role, you will focus on the development and maintenance of user manuals, technical overviews, and white papers for all CPI solutions. The successful candidate will be an independent problem-solver with strong writing skills, the ability to synthesize technical content from an SME, and create training materials that clearly explain the topic/task to end-users based on their persona.
Computer Projects of Illinois, Inc. (CPI), is a privately held corporation that delivers market-leading software solutions to the law enforcement industry. CPI develops & maintains many different best-in-class, mission-critical criminal justice solutions to law enforcement & public safety agencies around the world with their OpenFox® Product Suite. The work we do is unique & highly rewarding. Working in a creative environment where an excellent work-life balance ensures that all employees are happy & productive and supported by amazing benefits. We have fun, but at the end of the day, all our hard work impacts the safety of citizens & law enforcement officers across the country. Work hard. Play hard. Save Lives.
- Create exceptional documentation in the form of user guides, in-platform instructions, and in-depth product description manuals
- Create client resources and educational materials, training materials, general & technical overview, and FAQs.
- Research, write, edit, and revise content that is both engaging and accessible to user personas with both non-technical and technical backgrounds.
- Edit other writers’ content and documentation for consistency and continuously update content with current information.
- Test products for issues, provide insight to resolving problems, and ensure documentation is accurate and consistent.
- Collaborate with internal teams, including Engineering, Technical Leads, Product Marketing, Sales, and Technical Support.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in experience in English, Communication, Journalism, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or Technical Writing
- 2-3 years of experience in technical writing.
- Strong communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation.
- Ability to communicate complex technical topics to non-technical stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Experience working within IT Development, SaaS, or web-based technology environment.
- Must be willing to work at CPI HQ – (not remotely)
- Experiencing with coding and mark-up languages, including XML.
- Experience using API documentation.
- Experience with documentation publishing software.
- Experience working with Google software such as Gmail, Sheets, Drive, etc.
CPI has contracts with State, Federal, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies. As a result of this activity, CPI personnel encounters sensitive data, including Criminal History Records. Therefore, each candidate must pass an extensive background check.