Records management systems (RMS) are commonly used by law enforcement agencies to efficiently store, retain, retrieve, view and achieve records, files and information pertaining to daily law enforcement operations. This innovative software solution contains useful tools that help automate critical processes and improve the outcome of criminal investigations.
Before investing in a new or updated RMS, it is important for law enforcement agencies to carefully review trends, features and benefits of different systems. The right records management system can provide seamless functionality when managing common documentation, such as investigation records, arrest records, citations, criminal identification, detention records and tickets.
Learn more about record management systems used in law enforcement and how CPI OpenFox can help local and state law enforcement departments across the U.S. obtain reliable, secure and optimized law enforcement systems.
What Is a Records Management System?
A records management system is an agency-wide system commonly used in law enforcement operations to manage an entire life span of records development. Effective RMS solutions allow for single data entries while also supporting multiple reporting mechanisms. While an RMS can perform a wide range of functions, its main purpose involves effective reporting functionality.
Police departments and other law enforcement agencies are responsible for recording incidents to ensure that all authorized parties are aware of what is going on within a certain jurisdiction. These records can be used when developing strategies to identify and prevent certain crime patterns. Citizens can also benefit from these reports when they need legal documentation, such as when required to provide to insurance companies.
Common Trends in Record Management Systems
Swift growth is expected in the global document management market in the next few years. According to Fortune Business Insights, the market is estimated to expand to $16.42 billion in 2029 from $5.55 billion in 2022. There are several trends in records management systems that law enforcement can expect, including:
- Automation – For more than a decade, robotic process automation (RPA) has remained popular in law enforcement. According to the Intelligent Automation Network, the RPA market reached $2 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $3.17 billion by the end of 2022.
- Transparency – Efforts to enhance transparency in the criminal justice system have been a priority for many years. Increasingly, there have been ongoing measures to improve transparency in law enforcement, such as by sharing high-profile bodycam footage.
- Artificial Intelligence – Artificial intelligence (AI) is commonly used in a wide range of industries but has recently been leveraged by law enforcement. Predictive analysis, machine learning, data visualization and similar technologies can aid in decision-making and help to optimize business processes.
- Cloud Storage – Cloud storage helps empower law enforcement to perform effectively by providing them with instant access to data. When cloud computing is combined with browser-based interfaces, it can create unlimited processing power and cost advantages.
- Community-Based Policing – There has been a greater focus on adjusting policing methods to better fit community needs. New citizen engagement software now entering the market incorporates various elements of community-based policing.
Benefits of Records Management Systems
Police offices can enjoy a wide range of benefits when they implement a modern records management system. Among the top advantages of adopting this type of solution is improved data collection and analysis. RMS solutions enable law enforcement to manage large amounts of data securely. In addition, data-sharing can improve decision-making and teamwork to ensure that all agencies remain on the same page.
Records management systems are also effective at centralizing investigative data. Having a central database that contains family records, evidence, criminal history and biometrics can help law enforcement identify crime patterns, allocate resources and enable proactive staffing. Features such as incident mapping allow police to effectively track crimes and strategize to decrease their reoccurrence.
It can be time-consuming to write reports and manage evidence manually; using an RMS can also simplify reporting. Records management systems help automate these processes to allow police to spend more time in the field. Police simply need to enter the data once and with minimal clicks, can create comprehensive reports with digital evidence. Agencies can also equip their staff with the tools they need to accurately organize data while eliminating duplicate records.
Schedule a Consultation with CPI OpenFox Today
How effective law enforcement officials are in the field is highly dependent on how efficiently they execute their records management system. With access to a technologically-advanced software solution, law enforcement officials can confidently track criminal activities, respond to emergency alerts and achieve real-time reporting with greater accuracy.
CPI OpenFox offers high-level software solutions designed to optimize day-to-day law enforcement processes. The OpenFox suite of software solutions aims to streamline workflows and improve the ability of a department to store data, share information and provide intelligent law enforcement services to their jurisdiction. Schedule a consultation online today to learn more about our digitally-driven law enforcement solutions or call CPI OpenFox today at 630.547.3088.